Welcome to the CHRISTUS St. Vincent Bariatric Surgical Program. Located in Santa Fe, NM, we offer two weight loss surgical solutions for what we hope will be the beginning to a life time commitment to a healthier you!
Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass Surgery
Laparoscopic Gastric Banding (Lap Band)- Refills/Repairs
Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy
Our Program focuses on a team approach made up of dietitians, behavioral health specialist, exercise physiologists, gastroenterologists, pulmonary and sleep physicians in addition to the surgeon and program coordinator. Each member is dedicated to the team concept and is here to support you through this lifestyle change.
Weight-loss surgery may be done to help you lose weight if you are very obese and have not been able to lose weight with diet and exercise.
Surgery alone is not the answer for weight loss. It can train you to eat less, but you still have to do much of the work. You must be committed to diet and exercise after the surgery. Talk to your doctor to learn if this is a good option for you.
Step 1: Attend one of our Bariatric Seminars and meet the surgeon. Click here to view the schedule of upcoming seminars.
Step 2: Our Benefit Coordinator will verify Bariatric Surgery Benefits with your insurance company.
Step 3: Fill out the Medical/Dietary Questionnaire in completion.
Step 4: Schedule a Bariatric Surgery Consult with Dr. Timothy Wetherill by calling (505) 913-3975.
- Bring the completed Medical/Dietary Questionnaire and the completed insurance form with you to your appointment.
- You will also meet with the Bariatric Counselor and Dietitian at this appointment.
Step 5: Decide if surgery is right for you. (Remember this is not a quick fix, this is a lifetime commitment).
Step 6: The Bariatric Team will review with you the additional appointments you may need including: Gastrointestinal/EGD screening and a Pulmonary/ Sleep Study, and educational classes. Everyone’s preoperative workup is slightly different, because we customize it to meet the needs of each individual.
- It is important to understand how your diet needs to change both before and after bariatric surgery. Our team’s nutritionist will meet with you to help you understand these important changes. Before surgery, weight loss will help to shrink the size of your liver and make your operation safer! After surgery, maintaining a high-protein but low fat diet will optimize your weight loss and postoperative nutrition. Your nutritionist will be available to answer your questions as they come up during the evaluation process.
- Your insurance company might expect a clearance letter from a behavioral health specialist. Additional behavioral health care may be required.
- Upper Endoscopy (by Gastroenterologist, or GI doctor). It is important to make sure there are no problems in the stomach, such as polyps, tumors, ulcers, or bacteria that cause
ulcers prior to surgery. The gastroenterologist will perform an upper endoscopy to ensure that none of these is present in
your stomach prior to surgery.
- Sleep Study- A sleep study is done as a pre-op test for bariatric surgery determines whether a patient suffers from sleep apnea or other sleep disorders. These conditions do not necessarily rule out bariatric surgery, although depending on their severity treatment may be altered.
Step 7: Finalize payment options
Step 8: Start support group meetings. (Once a month- before surgery and after surgery).
Step 9: Attend 2 educational meetings with the Dietitian, Exercise Physiologist and Program Coordinator.
Step 10: Start your 14 – day Pre-Op Diet. You should also be walking daily.
Step 11: Surgery will be performed.
Step 12: Post Op appointments (dietitians, exercise physiologists, surgeon,behavioral health specialist)
Step 13: Post Support Group meetings.
Step 14: Continue on to a leaner, healthier you!
Our team will be with you through every step of the process.